dollar The new year is here, and that means it’s time for us to knuckle down and complete the time-honored task of filing our tax returns. If you’re a regular visitor to FWotC, that means you’re probably inclined to save a little cash by doing the return yourself. But before you plunk down $20 for a tax software program, check out these resources. You may be able to file your taxes for free. (Note: Most of these software programs charge additional fees to prepare and file state returns – but if you live in Texas, you likely won’t have to worry about it, as we have no state income tax.)

TurboTax Free Edition. If you have a simple return – say, one that requires a 1040EZ, 1040A or the like – you may be able to complete and e-file your federal return for free with TurboTax Online. Click here for details. If you have more complicated stuff, like a Schedule C, D, E, or F, you won’t be able to use this.

TaxAct. This lesser-known provider can help everyone, regardless of difficulty, prepare their return for free. They also have free tax specialists on hand for you to chat with via e-mail if you have a question. Click here to start. It’s also compatible with programs like TurboTax and TaxCut, so you can import previous years’ info.

TaxCut. They have a program similar to TurboTax’s free edition here.

In person. If you’re a senior citizen, you can get free tax help at the Southwest YMCA in Fort Worth every Monday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Call 817-472-8242 for details. The United Way of Dallas also has a list of free tax help centers for people with an adjusted gross income of less than $50,000. United Way of Tarrant County is also supposed to be holding such services, but no info is on their site right now; call them at 817-258-8000 if you are interested. Finally, the city of Grand Prairie offers free tax assistance to seniors and low-income residents from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays at the city’s main library, beginning Feb. 1. See here for details.